Monday, October 20, 2008

Meeting Patients

Today, I spent 2 hours for patient visit. i.e. the patients come and visit us in the medical school, not the other way round. This is as a part of our PPD (Personal and Professional Development) module. I'll also be going for a community visit next Friday.

On to the topic, we had 4 patients coming to our group, 2 at a time. The main objective of this particular session is an insight for us future doctors to know what patients want and expect of us. Although 4 of them can't really represent everyone, at least it gave us some idea.

One patient's respond to a question that I find quite astonishing is when asked whether she would prefer a doctor who is a good communicator or a good clinician. She answered a good communicator is obviously her choice.

They expect a doctor to be human and treat patients as a person instead of just numbers on the chart. They wouldn't mind if the doctor do not know as there is always an opportunity to refer to other doctors who are more experienced and knowledgeable.



I left the class feeling quite good, and I'm positive I've chosen the right path for my future :D, insyaAllah.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails